We have been struggling for days, but things on Elephant Island are going from bad to worse.
我们已经苦苦挣扎数日,大象岛上的处境每况愈下。
We are now crowded together under one of our boats on the rocky shore of this miserable place.
此刻我们挤在一艘小艇底下,栖身于这片荒凉之地布满岩石的海岸。
Soon after we arrived, Shackleton left us to find help on South Georgia Island, 1,320 kilometres away—the voyage was too dangerous and difficult for all of us to make it in our small boats.
抵达不久后,沙克尔顿便动身前往1320公里外的南乔治亚岛寻求救援。这段航程凶险万分,我们所有人无法搭乘小艇一同前往。
If Shackleton fails, will we have any hope of rescue?
倘若沙克尔顿求援失败,我们还有获救的希望吗?
No. No navy in the world ever stops at Elephant Island, and no one else knows that we are here.
没有。世界上没有海军会停靠大象岛,也没有人知道我们被困在这里。
It’s cold and windy.
天气寒冷,狂风呼啸。
The island has no plants.
这座岛上寸草不生。
Sometimes we are able to catch a seal or a penguin to eat.
有时我们能捕捉海豹或者企鹅果腹。
Otherwise, there is no food.
除此之外,别无食物。
I try to think of happier things: decent food, warm and dry clothes, a cosy bedroom, sunny days, and my mother’s face...
我努力回想那些美好的往事:可口的食物、温暖干爽的衣裳、舒适的卧室、晴朗的日子,还有母亲的脸庞……
However, these happy memories are soon interrupted by a sudden cold rush of air.
然而,美好的回忆总会被突如其来的寒风打断。
I shouted, “Shut the door!”
我大喊一声:“把门关上!”
“Hold on now, Perce. Don’t you go turning into another Tom,” came the reply.
传来一句回应:“坚持住,珀西。别变成又一个汤姆。”
“We’ve caught another penguin, so it’s penguin soup tonight!”
“我们又抓到一只企鹅,今晚能喝企鹅汤了!”
Bless Frank Wild, the kindest man there is after our leader, Ernest Shackleton.
保佑弗兰克·怀尔德,他是仅次于领袖欧内斯特·沙克尔顿,最善良的人。
How could I become as selfish and bad-tempered as Thomas Orde-Lees!
我怎么能变得像托马斯·奥德·里斯那样自私、脾气暴躁!
Without Frank and Ernest, we’d all be dead by now.
倘若没有弗兰克和欧内斯特,我们所有人早就没命了。
Their genuine concern for others, their perseverance, and their resolve fill me with hope.
他们发自内心关心同伴,坚韧不拔、意志坚定,让我心中重燃希望。
Perhaps there is a chance we will return home, after all.
说不定,我们终究还有机会活着回家。
扫码查看听力音频