Craig: Here at the camp we are wild about whales!
克雷格:在营地这里,我们对鲸鱼十分痴迷!
Today you have been helping us with our whale research.
今天你们一直在协助我们开展鲸鱼研究。
First of all, we asked you to find out some facts for a whale profile.
首先,我们让大家搜集一些资料,制作鲸鱼档案。
What did you find, Sally?
萨莉,你有什么发现?
Sally: There are over 80 different species of whales.
萨莉:世界上有80多种不同的鲸鱼。
These include the blue whale, the largest known animal to have ever existed.
其中包括蓝鲸,它是已知有史以来体型最大的动物。
They can grow to 100 feet long, and can weigh nearly 200 tons!
它们可以长到100英尺长,体重接近200吨!
There are two main types of whale: those with teeth, and those without.
鲸鱼主要分为两类:有齿鲸和无齿鲸。
Those without teeth eat very small organisms, whereas those with teeth eat fish and other larger sea animals.
无齿鲸以微型生物为食,而有齿鲸捕食鱼类以及其他大型海洋动物。
More than 70 species of whales have teeth.
超过70种鲸鱼是有牙齿的。
Craig: Great! Then, we asked you to think about why we do whale research. Yes, Ben.
克雷格:很棒!接下来,我们请大家思考我们开展鲸鱼研究的原因。本,请说。
Ben: Firstly, it is to monitor how many whales are are.
本:第一,是为了监测鲸鱼的数量。
Whales are threatened by many factors, including climate change, pollution, and hunting.
鲸鱼受到诸多因素的威胁,包括气候变化、污染以及捕猎。
Secondly, it is to track where whales go, so we can understand more about them, like their life cycle.
第二,追踪鲸鱼的去向,从而更多地了解它们,比如它们的生命周期。
Lastly, we know that whales are very intelligent.
最后,我们知道鲸鱼智商很高。
They communicate and hunt using complex sounds, and even sing and share songs.
它们依靠复杂的声音交流、捕猎,甚至会歌唱并且传唱曲调。
They can learn by themselves and can teach the things they have learnt to their young.
它们可以自主学习,还会把学到的本领教给幼鲸。
We want to understand more about this.
我们想要对此有更多了解。
Craig: Very good, Ben. And lastly, we asked you to go out with us and write a report of the work we do.
克雷格:非常好,本。最后,我们让大家跟随我们外出考察,撰写一份工作报告。
Can you give us your report, Luke?
卢克,可以给我们讲讲你的报告吗?
Luke: Yes. First, we followed a group of whales with the boat.
卢克:好的。首先,我们乘船追踪了一群鲸鱼。
Then we took pictures of their fins.
然后我们拍摄了它们的鱼鳍照片。
Most whales have slightly different fins and marks, which can help us to tell them apart.
大多数鲸鱼的鱼鳍和身上斑纹都略有差异,这可以帮助我们区分个体。
Meanwhile, we also noted their location, so we can track their movements and plot their migration path.
与此同时,我们记录下它们所处位置,以此追踪活动轨迹,绘制迁徙路线。
Later, we created a database of their fins and locations.
之后,我们建立包含鱼鳍照片和位置信息的数据库。
After that, we gave the group of whales a name, and each member a number.
在那之后,我们给这一群鲸鱼取了名字,还给每一头鲸鱼分配编号。
They will be added to the directory so we can identify them in the future.
这些信息会录入名录,方便我们日后识别它们。
Finally, we contacted other whale research groups around the world to share the information with them.
最后,我们联系了世界各地其他鲸鱼研究团队,和他们共享信息。
Craig: Excellent! Thank you all for your help today.
克雷格:太棒了!感谢大家今天提供的帮助。
扫码查看听力音频