Appear to be submissive, humble, grateful and undemanding ; show great pleasure when a doctor comes into your room, even if the visit is brief and useless
表现出顺从、谦逊、感激和不苛求;当医生走进你的房间时,即使是短暂而无用的就诊,也要表现出极大的快乐
Don’t challenge anyone with authority unless you are famous or very rich.
除非你出名或很富有,否则不要用权威挑战安冯。
Those are a few strategies for dealing with today’s American medical establishment
这些是应对当今美国医疗机构的一些策略
What patients want is to be treated with respect and consideration.
患者想要的是得到尊重和考虑。
But in my experience, too few hospitals and doctors are ready to do that.
但根据我的经验,准备这样做的医院和医生太少了。
In his book, A Whole New Life, novelist Reynolds Price recalls that his doctors chose a crowded hallway as the place to tell him he might have a tumor on his spinal cord.
小说家雷诺德·普莱斯(Reynolds Price)在《全新生活》(A Whole New Life)一书中回忆道,他的医生选择了一个拥挤的走廊作为告诉他脊髓可能有肿瘤的地方。
It did not occur to the two physicians that a hallway was not the most appropriate place for that particular piece of news.
这两位医生并没有想到走廊不是报道这条新闻的最合适的地方。
My surgeon, who is in his mid-thirties, looks tired.
我的外科医生三十五六岁,看起来很累。
He has been overwhelmed with patients who have fallen on the winter ice.
他被那些在冬季冰雪上跌倒的病人压垮了。
He is a witty man, but sometimes his wit is unwelcome.
他是个机智的人,但有时他的机智不受欢迎。
"The health insurance company Blue Cross wants me to put you out in the snow tomorrow afternoon, "
“健康保险公司Blue Cross希望我明天下午把你送到雪地里,”
he tells me after I have been in the hospital for more than a week.
他在我住院一周多后告诉我。
I’m terrified because I have no idea where to go.
我很害怕,因为我不知道该去哪里。
I cannot walk or even lift my leg a few inches.
我不能走路,甚至抬不动腿几英寸。
The hospital social worker strikes me as an idiot.
医院社工给我的印象是白痴。
But my complaints about her only annoy my surgeon.
但我对她的抱怨只会惹恼我的外科医生。
"I have to work with these people, " he tells my friend, Dr Karen Brudney, when she mercifully intervenes on my behalf and arranges for me to be transferred to another hospital.
“我必须和这些人一起工作,”当我的朋友卡伦·布鲁德尼医生仁慈地代表我介入并安排我转院时,他告诉我。
"If you say one negative thing, they get defensive, "she tells me later
她后来告诉我:“如果你说了一件消极的事情,他们就会产生抵触情绪。”
"They have this kind of institutional loyalty.
“他们有这种机构忠诚度。
Always bring an advocate that is, any other person with you to the hospital and write down every single question and the answer, the name of every doctor and nurse.
一定要带一位顾问,也就是任何其他人来医院,写下每个问题和答案,每个医生和护士的名字。
When people know you have their names, they behave better.
当人们知道你有他们的名字时,他们会表现得更好。
And, " Brudney adds, "if you, as a patient suggest that you might like to control even part of the situation or be consulted or informed, then you are considered difficult.
“而且,”Brudney补充道,“如果你,作为一名患者,暗示你可能想控制甚至部分情况,或者被咨询或告知,那么你就被认为很困难。
They want you to be totally passive.
他们希望你完全被动。
The entire health care system particularly hospitals and nursing homes, exists for reasons that have nothing to do with taking care of patients. Patients are incidental."
整个卫生保健系统,特别是医院和疗养院,存在的原因与照顾病人无关。患者是偶然发生的。”
Questions 16 to 18 are based on the recording you have just heard.
问题16至18基于您刚才听到的录音。
16. What does the speaker say about most American hospitals?
16.演讲者对大多数美国医院说了什么?
17. What does Karen Brudney suggest patients do?
17.凯伦·布鲁德尼建议患者做什么?
18. What do American doctors expect their patients to be according to Karen Brudney?
18.美国医生希望他们的患者向卡伦·布鲁德尼报告什么?
扫码听力原文