M:Have you given more thoughts to studying law?
男: 你多考虑过学法律的事了吗?
W: I've been thinking about it a lot, Yes.
女: 是的,我一直在认真考虑这件事。
In fact, this is why I wished to speak to you.
事实上,这也是我想跟你谈谈的原因。
I wanted to hear more about what it's like.
我想多了解一些关于这个行业的情况。
M:A career in law is a beautiful thing, in my opinion.Many people will say it's a boring field, but I disagree.
男: 在我看来,从事法律职业是件很美好的事。很多人会说这是个枯燥的领域,但我不同意。
The thing is, there are many different branches of law and many different jobs.
关键在于,法律有很多不同的分支,也有很多不同的工作。
W: You are involved with buildings and construction, right?
女: 你是做建筑和房地产方面的,对吧?
M: Correct. I'm a solicitor specializing in real estate, Most of my work involves mediating land disputes
男: 没错。我是一名专门从事房地产的律师(事务律师)。我的大部分工作涉及调解土地纠纷。
W: Do you mind giving me an example?
女: 能给我举个例子吗?
M: Sure. So in many cases, I am employed to arbitrate between two clashing parties.
男: 当然可以。在很多情况下,我是被雇佣来仲裁两个冲突方之间的纠纷。
Let's say, for example, there are two landowners who are in a thorny disagreement about something like the borders of their adjacent plots.
比如说,有两个土地所有者,他们因为像相邻地块边界之类的问题陷入了棘手的争执。
Someone may employ me to break the deadlock and resolve the dispute.
有人可能会雇我来打破僵局,解决争端。
Often my work involves negotiating agreements, plain and simple.
通常,我的工作就是直截了当地谈判达成协议。
W: So you are saying that a lot of what you do is fix people's legal issues like you try to find a solution that benefits everyone and that prevents a problem from escalating.
女: 所以你的意思是,你做的很多工作是解决人们的法律问题,比如你试图找到一个让各方都受益的解决方案,从而防止问题升级。
M:Exactly. Well put, You need to remember that courts - like all bureaucracies, really - can be very messy, frustrating and expensive,
男: 没错。说得很好。 你需要记住,法庭——说真的,像所有官僚机构一样——可能会非常混乱、令人沮丧且代价高昂。
For this reason, it's usually better to resolve problems outside of court whenever possible.
因此,只要有可能,通常最好在庭外解决问题。
W: I see. So besides knowing the law inside out, you need good people skills, right?
女: 我明白了。所以除了完全精通法律,你还需要良好的人际交往能力,对吗?
M:Of course, any job that involves people requires good interpersonal skills,
男: 当然,任何涉及与人打交道的工作都需要良好的人际交往能力。
and any law professional needs to be very eloquent at articulating that argument.
而且任何法律专业人士都需要非常善于清晰地阐述论点。
W: Right, So I've been thinking about studying criminal law, I think it sounds very interesting.
女: 对。我一直在考虑学习刑法,我觉得听起来非常有趣。
M: Hmm, yes. I'd say there's more money in property law, but the stakes are higher in criminal law.
男: 嗯,是的。我得说房地产法可能更赚钱,但刑法风险更大/刑法牵涉的利害关系更大。
I can see how you would find it more interesting.
我觉得你可能会觉得它更有趣,这我能理解。
Questions five to eight are based on the conversation you have just heard.
问题五到八基于你刚刚听到的对话。
Question five What will many people say about a career in law?
问题五: 关于法律职业,很多人会怎么说?
Question Six What does the man say most of his work involves?
问题六: 这位男士说他的大部分工作涉及什么?
Question seven Why does the man say it's usually better to resolve problems outside of court whenever possible?
问题七: 为什么这位男士说只要有可能,最好在法庭外解决问题?
Question eight What does the man think is required of any law professional?
问题八: 这位男士认为从事任何法律工作都需要什么?
扫码听力原文