W: Good morning, Mr. Green.
女:早上好,格林先生。
M: Good morning, Helen. Come and sit down. Um, we were a bit worried about your progress last term.
男:早上好,海伦。过来坐吧。上学期我们对你的进度有些担心。
But you've done some very good work recently.
但你最近做得很好。
And I think it's barely safe to assume you'll pass the course now.
我觉得现在假设你能通过这门课还不太保险。
In fact, if you can keep up this standard, we could very well be looking at a credit.
事实上,如果你能保持现在的水平,那么通过的可能性很大。
W: A credit, really?
女:通过,真的吗?
M: Yes. As long as you keep up the good work.
男:是的。只要你继续努力。
Anyway, the other thing we need to talk about is your next assignment. Right?
不管怎样,我们还得谈谈你的下一个任务。对吧?
M: And you want to look at the subject of oil.
男:你想考虑石油这个话题。
W: Yes, it's a pretty major issue. I mean, there are millions of buses and cars and trucks in the world, all dependent on oil.
女:是的,这是一个相当重要的问题。我的意思是,世界上有数百万辆公共汽车、小汽车和卡车,它们都依赖石油。
And then the airline industry is carrying more and more people around world every year.
航空业每年都在运送越来越多的人到世界各地。
So you have to consider global warming.
所以你必须考虑到全球变暖。
M: Hang on a minute. I wouldn't go into global warming if I were you.
男:等一下。如果我是你,我不会去研究全球变暖。
That's a huge subject in its own right. And quite a controversial one, I might add.
这本身就是一个巨大的课题。我得补充一句,这是一个相当有争议的课题。
The assignment is only supposed to be 3,000 words, remember?
作业要求只有3千字,记得吗?
If you're not careful, you'll be writing a 30,000-word thesis.
如果你不注意,可能就会写出一篇3万字的论文。
M: Now let's start with a few basics. Do you know how much energy is actually used for fuel, compared with other things?
男:现在让我们从一些基础知识开始吧。你知道与其他东西相比,实际上有多少能量被用作燃料吗?
W: Yes. I found some statistics. It's here somewhere. Ah, yes. Transportation.
女:是的。我找到了一些统计数据。就在这里的某个地方。啊,找到了。交通工具。
That accounts for about a quarter of world energy. Quite a bit less than industry.
它大约消耗世界能源的四分之一。比工业少得多。
But it's still a significant proportion.
但仍是一个相当大的比例。
M: And what is the figure for industry, as a matter of interest?
男:出于兴趣问一下,工业上的这一数字是多少?
W: That's almost 45%.
女:差不多是45%。
W: The other 30% or so goes into buildings for things like heating and air conditioning.
女:其余的30%左右用于建筑供暖和空调等。
But anyway, the main point I wanted to make was that we can't go on relying on oil forever.
但无论如何,我想表达的主要观点是我们不能永远依赖石油。
M: So you think oil is running out. Have you any evidence of that?
男:这么说你认为石油快要用完了。你有这方面的证据吗?
W: Yes, several major oil producers are already producing less.
女:是的,几个主要的石油生产国已经在减产了。
W: Well, Russia is a good example, and Mexico is another. Apparently, even Saudi Arabia will reach its peak in a few more years.
女:嗯,俄罗斯是一个很好的例子,墨西哥也是一个。显然,就连沙特阿拉伯也将在几年后达到顶峰。
M: Interesting. Okay. And do you know which countries use the most oil?
男:有意思。好吧。那你知道哪些国家使用石油最多吗?
W: Yes. 1/3 of the world's oil goes to North America. Worst of all is the USA, which gets through 459 gallons of gasoline per head every year.
女:是的,世界上三分之一的石油流向北美。最糟糕的是美国,人均每年要消耗459加仑汽油。
And Canada isn't far behind, with 303 gallons.
加拿大紧随其后,为303加仑。
Quite a long way after that comes Germany and then Japan.
在那之后是德国和日本,和它们相差很多。
M: Good. That's very useful data. Now, I suppose the other thing you need to look at is possible solutions in the last section. Any ideas?
男:很好。这是非常有用的数据。现在,我想你需要考虑的另一件事是,最后一部分中可能的解决方案。有什么想法吗?
W: I haven't really got that far yet.
女:我现在还没到那一部分。
M: Okay. Well, I think we'd better leave it there. You seem to have a lot of useful information already.
男:好的。嗯,我想我们就到这吧。你似乎已经拥有很多有用的信息了。
And you just need to work out the last section. And don't forget the word limit.
你只需要把最后一部分搞定就行了。别忘了字数限制。
W: I won't. Thanks for the help.
女:不会忘的,谢谢你的帮助。
扫码听力原文