To: joan.ford@hs.com
收件人:joan.ford@hs.com
Subject: Life in China
主题:在中国的生活
Hi there, Aunt Joan! How are you?
嗨,琼阿姨! 您最近还好吗?
Mum said you asked how I was doing, so let me tell you about my life here.
妈妈说您打听我的近况,那我跟您讲讲我在这里的生活。
As you know, I’ve been in China for around a month now.
您知道,我来到中国已经差不多一个月了。
I want to study in a local university, which is why I took those after-school Chinese classes.
我打算在本地一所大学求学,所以我报了课外汉语班。
I decided on China because it’s a fast-developing country with trade links all over the world.
我选择中国,是因为它发展迅速,和世界各地都有贸易往来。
Studying here could be useful in finding a good job in trade or business.
在这里学习,有助于我日后找到一份贸易或商业领域的好工作。
What’s more, Chinese culture is really interesting, so choosing to come here was a no-brainer for me!
而且,中国文化十分吸引人,所以来中国对我来说是毋庸置疑的选择!
Having said that, China isn’t like I thought it might be.
虽说如此,中国和我想象中的样子并不一样。
I thought it would be quite old and traditional, but in many ways, the cities are just as modern as back home in Vancouver, only with lots more people!
我原本以为这里古色古香、十分传统,但很多方面来看,这些城市和我的家乡温哥华一样现代化,只是人口多得多!
There’s so much more food to try, too, and it’s all delicious!
还有各式各样的美食等着我品尝,味道都很棒!
Everywhere I go, I see restaurants and snack stalls—it seems to be a big part of their culture.
我走到哪里都能看到餐馆和小吃摊,饮食似乎是他们文化里很重要的一部分。
Food here is very reasonably priced, so it’s great for my budget.
这里的食物价格很实惠,很适合我的开销预算。
The people I meet are all very welcoming towards me as a foreigner, and I even seem to be a point of interest!
我遇到的人都十分欢迎我这个外国人,我甚至还会引来大家好奇的目光!
However, hardly anyone speaks English in my area, so it can be a bit overwhelming at times.
不过,我住的这片区域几乎没人说英语,有时候着实让人有点手足无措。
But I guess that’s why I’m here—to learn.
但我想,这正是我来到这里的目的——学习。
Right now, I’m studying every day for my HSK exam (a Chinese language qualification).
目前,我每天都在备考汉语水平考试HSK。
But I also get a chance to explore the city.
不过我也有机会逛逛这座城市。
I usually get up extra early each morning to enjoy a freshly made breakfast on the street, and then I often visit a park.
我每天早上都会特意早起,在街上吃上一份现做的早餐,之后经常去公园走走。
I’m not sure if you know, but I’m really interested in tai chi, so I spend a lot of time in the city parks practising with the locals.
不知道您是否清楚,我对太极拳很感兴趣,所以经常在城市公园里和当地人一起练习。
There’s a lot of traditional culture still alive in China.
在中国,很多传统文化依旧传承不息。
The parks are full of people playing traditional instruments, playing Chinese chess, and even writing calligraphy on the ground with giant paintbrushes!
公园里到处有人演奏传统乐器、下中国象棋,甚至有人拿着大毛笔在地上练习书法!
My long-term plan is to take a degree course here.
我的长远计划是在这里攻读学位课程。
But it all depends on my expenses, so I intend to find some work first.
但这一切都取决于我的开销,所以我打算先找一份工作。
I’m staying in a hostel dormitory right now, but I’ve put an ad online to find a friendly Chinese family for a homestay.
我现在住在青年旅社宿舍,不过我已经在网上发帖,想寻找一户友善的中国家庭寄宿。
That way, my Chinese will improve much faster, especially my written Chinese, which I find the most difficult to grasp.
这样一来,我的中文水平会进步更快,尤其是书面汉语,我觉得这是最难掌握的。
I’ll get more exposure to Chinese culture, too.
我也能更多地感受中国文化。
I hope I can learn some Chinese food recipes from them.
我希望能向他们学几道中国菜的做法。
I promise to make everyone a meal when I return!
我保证,回去之后给大家做一顿饭!
Well, that’s all for now.
好了,先写到这里。
I’ve attached a few photos for you.
我给您附上了几张照片。
You would really love it here, so I hope you guys can visit China some time!
您一定会喜欢这里的,希望你们以后有机会来中国游玩!
扫码查看听力音频