Understanding Academic Lectures
理解学术讲座
Good morning, everybody.
大家早上好。
Now at the university you, as students, are often called on to perform many types of listening tasks:
现在在大学里,你们作为学生,在各种场合下都需要认真听:
listening in a group discussion, listening to a teacher on a one-to-one basis, and listening to academic lectures.
小组讨论中要听同学说话,一对一听老师说话,听学术讲座。
So what I'm going to talk about today is what a listener needs to be able to do in order to comprehend an academic lecture efficiently.
我今天要讲的是听众需要怎么做才能有效地理解学术讲座。
OK. What do you need to do in order to understand the lecture?
好。要理解讲座,你需要做些什么?
Now there are four things that I'm going to talk about.
我要讲四件事。
The first thing is that you need to be aware of all of the parts of the language that carry meaning.
首先,你需要知道语言的所有部分都有意义。
You all know that words carry meaning.
你们都知道词语是有意义的。
So you've got to be aware of the vocabulary of the language, but there are some other features.
所以你必须注意讲座的词汇,但还有其他一些方面。
For one thing, you need to be aware of stress.
首先,你需要注意重音。
Let me give you an example.
举个例子。
"I went to the bar."
“我去了酒吧。”
"I went to the bar."
“我去了酒吧。”
It makes a difference in the second example.
这在第二个例子中有所不同,
I'm stressing the fact that it was me and not someone else so that this means stress has some meaning.
在第二个例子中我强调的是我,而不是别人,所以这意味着重音也有意义。
Now the next thing you might want to listen for is intonation.
接下来你需要听的是语调。
For example, if I say "He came." "He came?"
例如,我说“他来了”。”“他来?”
There are two different meanings.
这是两种不同的意思。
One is a statement, the other one is a question.
一个是陈述,另一个是提问。
And another thing you need to listen for is rhythm.
还有一点你需要听,就是节奏。
For instance, "Can you see, Mary?" VS "Can you see Mary?"
例如:“你能看见吗,玛丽?”和“你能看到玛丽吗?”等等。
Those two mean something different.
这两个意思不同。
In the first one, they are talking directly to Mary, while the second one means"Can you see Mary over there?"
第一个句子中,他们直接和玛丽说话,第二个意思是,“你能看见玛丽在那边吗?”
Now the next thing you must do when you listen is that you need to add information that the lecturer expects you to add.
还有件事,就是补充讲者希望你补充的信息。
All lecturers assume that they share some information with their audience and that their audience does not need them to explain every word.
所有的讲者都认为他们和听众都掌握了某些信息,听众不需要他们逐字解释。
And listeners have an ability to add this information due to two sources of information.
听者可以从两种信息来源获得信息,所以是可以添加这些信息的。
That is: 1) their knowledge of a particular subject; and 2) their knowledge or experience of the world.
那就是:1)他们对某一特定学科的知识;2)他们的知识或经验。
So remember, listening is not a matter of just absorbing the speaker's words - the listener has to do more than that.
所以请记住,倾听并不是仅仅记住讲者说的话——听众需要做的不止这些。
The listener is not a tape recorder, absorbing the speaker's words and putting them into his or her brain.
听者不是录音机,不能只是听了别人的话并存入大脑中。
Rather, listening involves hearing the speaker's words and reinterpreting them, adding information if necessary.
相反,倾听包括听讲者说话并重新解释这些信息,如果有必要的话,还要补充一些信息。
So the meaning is not in the word alone, rather it is in the person who uses it or responds to it
所以,意思并不仅仅存在于词汇中,还在于词汇使用者和回应者。
so that the second thing that a listener must do add information that the lecturer assumes that they share.
所以,听者必须做的第二件事就是补充讲者认为大家都知道的信息。
OK. The third thing that a listener needs to do, and this is to me the most important thing of all, and that's to predict as you listen.
好。听众需要做的第三件事,对我来说也是最重要的事情,那就是听的过程中做出预测。
Now let me give you two reasons why you have to predict.
为什么要预测,有两个原因。
For one thing, if you predict it helps you overcome noise.
首先,预测能帮助你克服噪音的干扰。
What do I mean by noise?
我说的噪音是什么意思?
Maybe there's noise outside and you can't hear me.
也许外面有噪音,你听不到我说的话。
Maybe you're in the back of the room and you can't hear all that well.
也许你在房间的后面,你听不太清楚。
Maybe the microphone doesn't work.
也许麦克风坏了。
Maybe there's noise inside your head.
也许你脑子里有杂音。
By that I mean maybe you're thinking of something else.
我是说,也许你在想别的事情。
And then all of a sudden, you'll remember "Oh, I've got to listen."
然后突然间,你会记得“哦,我得听你的。”
By being able to predict during the lecture, you can just keep listening to the lecture and not lose the idea of what's going on.
学会听讲的过程中做出预测,你就可以继续顺着刚才的内容继续听,不会不知道讲到哪里。
So predicting is important to help you overcome outside noise and inside noise.
所以预测对于克服外界噪音和内部噪音都是很重要的。
And another reason that predicting is important is because it saves you time.
预测很重要还有一个原因,就是节省时间。
Now when you listen you need time to think about the information, relate it to old ideas, take notes,
听的时候,你需要时间去思考这些信息,把它与旧的想法联系起来,记笔记,
and if you're only keeping up with what I'm saying or what the lecturer's saying, you have no time to do that.
如果你只是跟上我说的或者讲者说的话,你就没有时间去做这些了。
And I'll bet a lot of you are having that problem right now because it's so hard just to follow everything I'm saying that you don't have time to note down ideas.
我敢打赌,你们中的很多人现在都有这个问题,因为要跟上我所说的每句话实在太难了,你们没有时间记笔记。
So predicting saves you time.
所以预测可以节省你的时间。
If you can guess what I'm going to say, you're able to take notes, you're able to think, you have more time. OK?
如果你能猜出我要说什么,你就能记笔记,你就能思考,你就有更多的时间。对不对?
And there are two types of predictions that you can make: predictions of content and predictions of organization.
你可以做两种预测:内容预测和语言组织形式的预测。
Let me give you an example in terms of content.
举一个关于内容的例子。
If you hear the words "Because he loved to cook, his favorite room was..." what would you expect?
如果你听到这句话,“他喜欢做饭,所以他最喜欢的房间是…“你觉得接下来会是什么?
Kitchen. You can guess this because you know people cook in the kitchen.OK?
厨房。你可以这样猜测,因为你知道厨房是做饭的地方,对吧?
And you can also predict organization.
你也可以预测语言的组织形式。
So if I was going to tell you a story, you expect me to tell you why the story is important, give you a setting for the story.
如果我给你讲一个故事,你希望我告诉你这个故事为什么很重要,还希望我给你这个故事的背景。
So you have expectations of what the speaker is going to talk about and how the speaker will organize his or her words.
这样你对说话者将要谈论的内容,以及说话者如何组织语言有了预期。
Now let's come to the last thing a listener must do:
现在我们来说一下最后一件听众必须做的事:
the listener must evaluate as he or she is listening, decide what's important, what's not, decide how something relates to something else. OK?
听众必须在听的时候进行评估,决定什么是重要的,什么是不重要的,识别一些事物与其他事物之间的关系。对不对?
There are again two reasons for this.
这也有两个原因。
The first one is evaluating helps you to decide what to take notes about, what's important to write down, what's not important to write down.
首先,评估帮助你决定哪些是需要做笔记的,哪些是需要记下来的,哪些不重要可以不记。
And the second reason is that evaluating helps you to keep information.
第二个原因是,评估有助于你储存信息。
Studies have shown that we retain more information if ideas are connected to one another rather than just individually remembered.
研究表明,如果想法不是单独记忆,而是相互联系的,我们就可以储存更多信息。
So for example, if I give you five ideas that are not related to one another, that's much more difficult to remember than five ideas that are related.
举个例子,记住五个互不相关的想法,要比记住五个相关的想法要困难得多。
So you can see evaluating helps you to remember information better because it connects ideas to one another.
所以你就明白了,评估有助于你更好地记住信息,因为它能把想法联系在一起。
OK. From what I've said so far, you can see there's a lot involved in listening to lectures - language awareness, adding information, making predictions and evaluations.
好。说了这么多,大家可以看到很多都和听讲有关-语言意识,补充信息,做出预测和评估。
I hope these will be useful to you in lecture comprehension.
我希望这些对你们的理解讲座很有用。
扫码听力原文