William: Hello, I’m William Wood, the host of Amazing New Zealand.
威廉:大家好,我是《奇妙新西兰》的主持人威廉·伍德。
Today, we’re going to talk about what can best represent New Zealand.
今天我们要来聊聊什么最能代表新西兰。
We’ll start with business journalist Dave Edmonds.
首先有请商业记者戴夫·埃德蒙兹。
Dave, what’s your pick?
戴夫,你的选择是什么?
Dave: My vote has to be the Bay of Islands.
戴夫:我会选岛屿湾。
It’s one of the most beautiful places you’ll find in New Zealand.
它是新西兰最美的地方之一。
There are boat cruises or hiking tours to explore the small towns and their rich history, as well as tours to observe and experience Maori culture.
你可以乘船游览或者徒步旅行,探访小镇,了解它们厚重的历史,也可以参加旅行团去观摩、体验毛利文化。
You will be astonished to see the haka on site.
亲眼见到哈卡战舞,你一定会感到震撼。
But, of course, it’s the beaches and water activities that make the Bay of Islands such a popular tourist destination.
不过当然,正是海滩和水上活动让岛屿湾成为热门旅游胜地。
And there’s plenty of great wildlife to see along the beaches—penguins, whales, dolphins …
沿着海滩还能看到大量野生动物——企鹅、鲸鱼、海豚……
All in all, the Bay of Islands is really what best represents New Zealand.
总而言之,岛屿湾确实最能代表新西兰。
Felicity: Yes, Dave. I think the Bay of Islands is a great place too, but I have a different place in mind.
费莉西蒂:没错,戴夫。我也觉得岛屿湾很棒,但我心中有另一个地方。
William: Folks, this is Felicity James, editor of World Nature magazine. Felicity?
威廉:各位,这位是《世界自然》杂志的编辑费莉西蒂·詹姆斯。费莉西蒂,请说。
Felicity: Thanks, William. In my opinion, the places that best represent New Zealand are the geothermal parks, such as in the North Island area.
费莉西蒂:谢谢你,威廉。在我看来,最能代表新西兰的是地热公园,比如北岛地区的那些地热公园。
The hot springs, geysers, bubbling mud, and sulphuric pools make that area one of the most amazing places you’ll ever see.
温泉、间歇泉、冒泡的泥浆以及硫磺池,让这片地区成为你所能见到的最令人惊叹的地方之一。
The scenery there is truly unique to New Zealand.
那里的风景是新西兰独有的。
William: Also, here with us is Jane Smith, writer of the Fantastic Life blog. Jane, what do you think?
威廉:同时来到现场的还有博客《精彩生活》的作者简·史密斯。简,你怎么看?
Jane: Well, I wouldn’t choose a particular place.
简:嗯,我不会挑选某个特定地点。
I think that if someone left New Zealand without seeing a kiwi bird or a flock of sheep, they haven’t truly experienced the country.
我认为,如果有人离开新西兰,却没有见过几维鸟或是成群的绵羊,那并不算真正体验过这个国家。
What I’m trying to say is that what best represents New Zealand is not necessarily a place, but rather the experiences you get there.
我想说的是,最能代表新西兰的未必是某个地点,而是你在那里获得的体验。
Try some manuka honey.
尝尝麦卢卡蜂蜜。
In short, I would like to suggest that tourists not just visit iconic places in New Zealand—they should experience its culture.
简而言之,我建议游客不要只游览新西兰的标志性地点,还应当去体验它的文化。
扫码查看听力音频