Interviewer: Hi Mary! Welcome to Adventure Travel.
采访者:嗨,玛丽!欢迎来到《探险旅行》栏目。
Could you please tell us more about how you began your journey?
你能和我们讲讲,这次旅程是怎么开始的吗?
Mary: Well, I wanted to help raise money for the medical fees for a child who lives in my neighbourhood.
玛丽:我想为邻居家的一个孩子筹集医药费。
People would donate a certain amount of money—typically around three dollars—for every kilometre I walked.
我每走一公里,人们就会捐一笔钱,一般大约三美元。
Interviewer: How far did you walk? How much did you raise?
采访者:你一共走了多远?筹到多少钱?
Mary: Altogether, I walked nearly 3,350 kilometres, and raised over $20,000.
玛丽:我总共走了将近3350公里,筹到两万多美元。
Interviewer: Wow, it must have taken a long time!
采访者:哇,那一定花了很长时间!
Mary: I left Sydney in November, and arrived in Perth in May, so it was about six months.
玛丽:我十一月从悉尼出发,次年五月抵达珀斯,大概历时六个月。
Interviewer: And what kind of equipment did you need?
采访者:你需要准备哪些装备?
Mary: Walking shoes, of course.
玛丽:徒步鞋是必需品。
But the most important thing was a cart to carry my water.
但最重要的是一辆运水推车。
It goes above 40°C in the summer, so I needed to drink at least 10 litres of water a day.
夏天气温超过40摄氏度,我每天至少要喝10升水。
But there’s no water in the desert, so I had to carry my water with me for days at a time.
沙漠里没有水源,我必须一次性带上够喝好几天的水。
Interviewer: What if something went wrong? Weren’t you afraid?
采访者:如果发生意外怎么办?你不害怕吗?
Mary: Well, I had a mobile phone so it was okay.
玛丽:我带了手机,所以还算安心。
Interviewer: What kind of difficulties did you face?
采访者:你遇到了哪些困难?
Mary: Hunger for one thing.
玛丽:首先就是饥饿。
Since I had to carry so much water, I did not have much room to carry food, and so some days I didn’t eat.
我要带大量水,没地方放食物,有些日子只能饿着。
Injuries were another.
另外还有伤病困扰。
Once, I sprained my ankle very badly and it hurt a lot!
有一次我的脚踝严重扭伤,疼得厉害。
On a journey like this, your body can take quite a beating and you can be in quite a lot of pain.
这样的旅途很消耗身体,常常会浑身疼痛。
Interviewer: Oh, dear, that sounds terrible.
采访者:天呐,听着太艰难了。
Mary: Well, it wasn’t so bad, really.
玛丽:其实也没有那么糟糕。
I met kind strangers along the way.
一路上我遇到了很多热心的陌生人。
That time when I sprained my ankle, a couple offered me a place to rest for the night.
那次扭伤脚踝时,一对夫妇收留我过夜。
They even gave me an ice pack for my ankle to help reduce the swelling.
他们还给我冰袋,敷脚踝消肿。
Interviewer: I see. Did you face any problems with the wildlife, maybe snakes?
采访者:原来是这样。有没有遭遇野生动物,比如蛇?
Mary: No, not really, because I followed a few rules.
玛丽:并没有,我一直遵守一些防范规则。
For example, I avoided walking through tall grass and always made sure I could see what I was stepping on.
比如,我不走高高的草丛,时刻留意脚下。
I also wore thick boots and pants to protect myself from snakebites.
我还穿着厚靴子和长裤,防止被蛇咬伤。
Interviewer: And do you still believe that it was worth it to go on this journey?
采访者:你依旧觉得这场旅程值得吗?
Mary: Yes, definitely.
玛丽:当然值得。
It was a challenge, but I raised the money and even got to see the parts of Australia that many may not have seen.
旅途充满挑战,但我筹到了资金,还见到了很多人看不到的澳洲风光。
But what I remember best is the kindness of the people I met along the way.
但我印象最深的,是沿途陌生人的善意。
I would make this journey again, if the opportunity arises.
如果有机会,我愿意再次踏上这段旅程。
Interviewer: That’s fantastic! Thanks very much for sharing your experience with us!
采访者:太棒了!非常感谢你分享这段经历!
Mary: My pleasure.
玛丽:不客气。
扫码查看听力音频