Tom, I understand When Havas Media North America hired you early this year to be head of strategy and innovation,
汤姆,我了解到今年年初哈瓦斯北美分公司聘请你担任战略与创新主管,
it did not include the words "future" of "futurist" in your title,
当时你的头衔里并没有“未来”这个词,
but a large part of your role is understanding where the near and not-so-distant futures of media can be applied and accelerated
但你的职责中,有很大一部分是寻找未来可以应用媒体并且加速其发展的领域,
in ways that give Havas and its clients a competitive advantage.
从而使哈瓦斯与其客户获得竞争优势。
Yes. So, what exactly is your role at Havas?
是的。那么,你在哈瓦斯的具体职责是什么?
Well, I'm very lucky in that I get paid to think!
嗯,我很幸运,因为公司付钱让我思考!
My role is about understanding the changes in behavior, technology and media,
我的职责是理解行为、技术和媒体的变化,
and then to use that information to inspire new thinking and new ideas, and then to bring them to life.
然后利用这些信息激发新的思考和想法,最后实现这些想法。
It could be anything from what the Internet of things means for our clients,
这些想法包罗万象,从物联网对客户的意义,
to how mobile coupons could develop. The key is making something from it.
到移动优惠券的发展前景。关键是有所作为。
What areas of business do you think require the most focus on innovation right now?
你认为现在哪些领域最需要专注于创新?
I think we need to innovate in two very broad areas.
我认为需要在两个非常广阔的领域进行创新。
First, we need to start working around people and not our own interests or channels.
首先,我们需要开始与人打交道,而不是只专注于自己的利益或渠道。
We need to create new processes and structures, and bring in new talent to take advantage of the evolving media landscape.
我们需要创造新的过程和结构,并引进新的人才,以应对不断变化的媒体环境。
In the same way that television show were plays that were filmed,
电视剧是被录制下来的话剧,
we've tended to simply repurpose advertising units that were invented several decades ago.
借助这种新瓶装旧酒的方式,我们也要重新利用几十年前发明的广告单元。
Secondly, we need to re-evaluate the role of advertising.
其次,我们需要重新评估广告的作用。
For me, media agencies should not be advertising clients on how to spend marketing money,
我认为,媒体机构不应该向客户宣传如何花掉营销经费,
but applying design thinking, creativity, data and consumer understanding to solve client business problems.
而应该运用设计思维、创意、数据和消费者的理解来解决客户的业务问题。
How do you know which areas to focus on that will actually lead to business results,
你怎么知道哪些领域会带来业务成果,
vs. being interesting, but potentially low-yielding dead-ends?
哪些是一开始可盈利,其实收益很低的死胡同?
The hardest thing with innovation is that it needs people to take a risk.
创新最困难的地方在于它需要人们去冒险。
You can't do anything for the first time if you need to show previous success stories, because by definition it's never been done before.
第一次做事,便不能炫耀之前的成功事迹,因为所谓“第一次”,便是从来没有过的。
As an industry, we need to focus on our gut feelings and on superb ideas, not just data-supported arguments.
作为一个行业,我们需要关注我们的直觉和优秀的想法,而不仅仅是数据支持的论点。
What areas do you think are being overlooked by the industry that could be game-changing opportunities in the future?
你认为哪些被业内忽略了的领域,在未来可能改变游戏规则?
I believe that the industry is going to start targeting at a user level, serving messages directly to consumers.
我相信这个行业将会以用户为目标,直接向消费者提供信息。
Right now, we still move people to visit websites or either enter some silly competition.
现在,我们仍然会诱导人们访问网站,或者参加一些愚蠢的竞争。
Why not use ads to download mobile coupons or send offers to friends, or save locations to bookmark, or make phone calls?
可以借助广告来下载移动优惠券,给朋友发送邀请,把地点保存到书签,还有打电话。
How do you reconcile your role between innovating and applying it into strategy?
你如何调和你在创新和应用策略之间的作用?
The hardest part of my job is establishing the "focal point".
我工作中最困难的部分就是设立“焦点”。
My approach is: first to take a long hard look at the future and see what will be possible one day,
我的方法是:首先对未来进行长期的观察,看看未来可能发生什么,
and then to consider an entry point that is buyable in the next 4 months, and make it happen.
然后再考虑一个在未来4个月内的可买入口点,并实现它。
What do you think of other agencies' getting directly into the ventures game to fuel innovation vis-a-vis capital?
其他机构直接进入风险投资,以资本推动创新,对此你有什么看法?
Or is it best left to professional venture capital firms, or clients to do directly?
或是由专业风险投资公司或客户直接投资才比较好?
I think the role of media agencies needs to be about collaboration and openness and fostering creativity,
我认为媒体的角色应该是合作、开放和培养创造力,
but the key is how that is done, and how we ensure that everything is about the best interests of our clients.
但关键在于如何做到这一点,以及我们如何确保一切都关乎我们客户的最高利益。
OK, Tom. Thanks for being with us.
好吧,汤姆。谢谢你来到这里。
Q6: What is Tom's main role in his new position?
第6题:汤姆在这个新职位上的主要角色是什么?
Q7: According to Tom, what does innovation require of people?
第7题:根据汤姆的说法,创新对人提出了什么样的要求?
Q8: What does Tom see as game-changing chances in the future?
第8题:汤姆认为什么会改变未来的游戏规则?
Q9: What does Tom do first to deal with the toughest part of his work?
第9题:处理工作中最困难的部分时,汤姆会先做什么?
Q10: Which of the following might Tom work for?
第10题:下列哪个可能是汤姆的公司?
扫码听力原文