Search engines have completely changed how we access information and who we get it from.
搜索引擎彻底改变了我们获取信息的方式以及我们从谁那里获取信息。
They are fast, easy and great, but there are so many questions you can't look up online.
它们很快、很容易、很好,但有很多问题你无法在网上查询。
Some are too complex because they have two or more parts, and others are impossible to search, because you can't remember a name or an exact year.
有些太复杂了,因为它们有两个或两个以上的部分,而另一些则无法搜索,因为你记不起名字或确切的年份。
So you get too many results to make your search useful, or maybe you just aren't near a computer or WiFi.
所以,你得到的结果太多,无法让你的搜索变得有用,或者你只是不在电脑或WiFi附近。
That's when APL can make a difference.
这就是APL可以发挥作用的时候。
With APL, you can put questions to an information specialist at the Pearl Library.
使用APL,您可以向珍珠图书馆的信息专家提出问题。
For over 40 years, APL has been answering people's questions by looking things up in a variety of texts, recordings and other resources.
40多年来,APL一直通过查找各种文本、录音和其他资源来回答人们的问题。
And these people are expert researchers.
这些人是专家研究人员。
So they know where to look for information, which is key in providing a really good quality answer.
因此,他们知道在哪里寻找信息,这是提供真正高质量答案的关键。
Sometimes accuracy is more important than getting millions of results in a second.
有时准确度比一秒钟内获得数百万结果更重要。
Then how can you access APL?
那么如何访问APL?
You can call 21518 between 9 am and 6 pm, Monday through Saturday.
您可以在周一至周六上午9点至下午6点之间拨打21518。
One of the ten information specialists will answer your question, even if the question has multiple parts.
十位信息专家中的一位将回答您的问题,即使问题有多个部分。
And even if you're missing some key information, that's the benefit of a human over a computer.
即使你丢失了一些关键信息,这也是人类比计算机的好处。
Plus, if you need some recommended reading, they've got that covered too.
另外,如果你需要一些推荐的阅读,他们也已经涵盖了。
Questions 14. What is the speaker mainly taking about?
问题14.演讲者主要讲的是什么?
15. What will a search engine do if you type in a much too complicated question?
15.如果你输入一个太复杂的问题,搜索引擎会做什么?
16. Which the following is true of APL?
16.以下哪项适用于APL?
扫码听力原文