2019年英语专八真题听力 演讲

2022-11-09 浏览(41)

Body Language and Mind
身体语言和思维
Good morning, everyone.
大家早上好。
In today's lecture, I'd like to focus on how our body language reveals who we are.
在今天的讲座中,我想集中讨论我们的肢体语言如何揭示我们是谁。
We're really fascinated with body language, and particularly interested in other people's body language.
我们对肢体语言非常着迷,尤其对其他人的肢体语言感兴趣。
You know, we're sometimes interested in an awkward interaction, or a smile, or a contemptuous glance, or maybe a very awkward wink, or handshake.
你知道,我们有时会对尴尬的互动、微笑、轻蔑的一瞥、或者非常尴尬的眨眼或握手感兴趣。
So what kind of body language am I talking about?
那么我在说什么样的肢体语言呢?
I am interested in power dynamics -- that is the nonverbal expressions of power and dominance.
我对权力动态感兴趣——这是权力和支配的非语言表达。
And what are nonverbal expressions of power and dominance?
什么是权力和支配的非语言表达?
Well, this is what they are.
好吧,这就是。
In the animal kingdom, nonverbal expressions of power and dominance are about expanding.
在动物王国中,权力和支配权的非语言表达是关于扩张的。
So you make yourself big, you stretch out, you take up space and you're basically opening up.
所以你让自己变大,你伸展身体,你占据了空间,你基本上打开了。
And... and humans do the same thing.
而且…人类也做同样的事情。
So they do this when they're feeling powerful in the moment.
所以,当他们感觉自己很强大时,他们会这样做。
And this one is especially interesting because it really shows us how universal and old these expressions of power are.
这一个特别有趣,因为它真正向我们展示了这些权力表达方式的普遍性和古老性。
For example, when athletes cross the finish line and they've won,
例如,当运动员越过终点线并获胜时,
it doesn't matter if they've never seen anyone do it.
如果他们从未见过有人这么做,那也没关系。
They do this. So the arms are up in the V sign, the chin is slightly lifted.
他们这样做。手臂呈V形,下巴微微抬起。
But what do we do when we feel powerless?
但当我们感到无能为力时,我们该怎么办?
We do exactly the opposite. We close up. We make ourselves small.
我们做的恰恰相反。我们关门了。我们让自己变得渺小。
We don't want to bump into the person next to us.
我们不想撞到旁边的人。
And this is what happens when you put together high and low power.
这就是当你把高功率和低功率放在一起时会发生的情况。
So what we tend to do when it comes to power is that we complement the other's nonverbals.
因此,当权力来临时,我们倾向于做的是补充对方的非语言。
What I mean is if someone is being really powerful with us, we tend to make ourselves smaller.
我的意思是,如果有人真的对我们很有影响力,我们往往会让自己变得更小。
We don't mirror them. We do the opposite.
我们不镜像它们。我们的做法正好相反。
I'm watching this behavior in the classroom, and guess what I have noticed.
我在教室里看着这种行为,猜猜我注意到了什么。
I notice that MBA students really exhibit the full range of power nonverbals.
我注意到,MBA学生真的展现了非语言的全部力量。
They get right into the middle of the room before class even starts, like they really want to occupy space.
他们甚至在开始上课之前就进入了房间的中央,好像他们真的很想占据空间。
When they sit down, they're sort of spread out.
当他们坐下时,他们有点分散开来。
They raise their hands high.
他们高举双手。
You have other people who are virtually collapsing when they come in.
你可以看到其他人进来时真的会崩溃。
As soon as they, I mean other people, come in, you see it.
只要他们,我是指其他人,进来,你就会看到。
You see it on their faces and their bodies, and they sit with their chairs and they make themselves tiny,
你可以在他们的脸上和身体上看到,他们坐在椅子上,让自己变得很小,
and they will not fully stretch their arms when they raise their hands.
当他们举手时,他们不会完全伸展手臂。
I also notice another interesting thing about this.
我还注意到了另一件有趣的事情。
It seems women are much more likely to do this kind of thing than men.
似乎女性比男性更容易做这种事。
I mean women are more likely to make themselves small.
我的意思是,女性更有可能让自己变得渺小。
Women feel chronically less powerful than men, so this is not surprising.
女性长期感觉自己不如男性强大,所以这并不奇怪。
The second question concerns our minds.
第二个问题涉及我们的思想。
We know that our minds change our bodies.
我们知道我们的思想会改变我们的身体。
But is it also true that our bodies change our minds?
但是,我们的身体也会改变我们的想法吗?
And when I say minds, in the case of the powerful, what do I mean?
当我说心智的时候,在权贵的情况下,我的意思是什么?
I'm talking about thoughts and feelings and the sort of physiological things that make up our thoughts and feelings, and in my case, that's hormones.
我说的是思想和感情,以及构成我们思想和感情的生理因素,在我的情况下,这就是荷尔蒙。
I look at hormones.
我来讲讲激素
So what do the minds of the powerful versus the powerless look like?
那么,强者与弱者的思想是什么样子的呢?
Powerful people tend to be, not surprisingly, more assertive and more confident, more optimistic.
有权势的人往往更自信,更乐观,这并不奇怪。
They actually feel that they're going to win even at games of chance.
他们实际上觉得,即使是在偶然的比赛中,他们也会赢。
They also tend to be able to think more abstractly.
他们也倾向于更抽象地思考。
They take more risks.
他们承担更多的风险。
So there are a lot of differences between powerful and powerless people.
因此,有权势的人和无能为力的人之间有很多不同。
Physiologically, there also are differences on two key hormones:
生理上,两种关键激素也存在差异:
one is dominance hormone, and the other is stress hormone.
一种是显性激素,另一种是应激激素。
What we find is that powerful and effective leaders have high dominance hormone and low stress hormone.
我们发现,强大而有效的领导者拥有高主导荷尔蒙和低压力荷尔蒙。
What does that mean?
这是什么意思?
That means power is also about how you react to stress.
这意味着权力也关乎你对压力的反应。
Once we did an experiment.
有一次我们做了一个实验。
We decided to bring people into the lab and run that little experiment.
我们决定把人们带进实验室,进行这个小实验。
These people adopted, for two minutes, either high-power poses or low-power poses.
这些人采取了两分钟的高功率姿势或低功率姿势。
We, for two minutes, say, "You need to do this or this." And we also want them to be feeling power.
我们用两分钟的时间说,“你需要这样或这样做。”我们也希望他们感受到力量。
So after two minutes we will ask them "How powerful do you feel?" on a series of items,
两分钟后,我们会问他们“你感觉有多强大?”在一系列项目上,
and then we give them an opportunity to gamble.
然后我们给他们一个赌博的机会。
Before and after the experiment, we take their samples of saliva for a hormone test.
实验前后,我们抽取他们的唾液样本进行激素测试。
That's the whole experiment.
这就是整个实验。
And this is what we have found -- risk tolerance, which is gambling.
这就是我们发现的——风险承受能力,这就是赌博。
What we find is that when you're in the high-power pose condition, 86 percent of you will gamble.
我们发现,当你处于高强度姿势时,86%的人会赌博。
When you're in the low-power pose condition, it's down to only 60 percent,
当你处于低功率姿势时,它只会下降到60%,
and that's a pretty significant difference.
这是一个非常显著的区别。
Here's what we find on dominance hormone.
这是我们在支配激素上的发现。
From their baseline when they come in, high-power people experience about a 20-percent increase,
从他们进来时的基线来看,高权力的人经历了大约20%的增长,
and low-power people experience about a 10-percent decrease.
而低功率的人会经历大约10%的下降。
So again, two minutes, and you get these changes.
同样,两分钟后,你会得到这些变化。
Concerning stress hormone, high-power people experience about a 25-percent decrease,
关于压力荷尔蒙,高权力者经历了大约25%的下降,
and the low-power people experience about a 15-percent increase.
而低功率的人经历了大约15%的增长。
Once again, two minutes lead to these hormonal changes that configure your brain to basically be either assertive, confident or really stress-reactive,
再一次,两分钟会导致这些荷尔蒙变化,使你的大脑基本上变得自信、自信或真正的压力反应,
and, you know, feeling sort of shut down.
而且,你知道,感觉有点被关闭了。
And we've all had that feeling, right?
我们都有这种感觉,对吧?
So it seems that our nonverbals do govern how we think and feel about ourselves.
因此,我们的非语言确实支配着我们对自己的思考和感受。
Also, our bodies change our minds.
此外,我们的身体会改变我们的思想。
So, power posing for a few minutes really changes your life in meaningful ways.
所以,摆几分钟姿势真的会以有意义的方式改变你的生活。
When I tell people about this, that our bodies change our minds and our minds can change our behavior,
当我告诉人们这一点时,我们的身体会改变我们的思想,我们的思想可以改变我们的行为,
and our behavior can change our outcomes, they say to me,
他们对我说,我们的行为可以改变我们的结果,
"I don't believe that. It feels fake. Right?"
“我不相信。感觉很假。对吧?”
So I said, "fake it till you make it." I'm going to live you with this.
所以我说,“假装直到你成功”。我要让你这样去做。
Before you go into the next stressful evaluative situation,
在你进入下一个紧张的评估情境之前,
for example, a job interview, for two minutes, try doing this, in the elevator,
例如,面试两分钟,在电梯里试着这样做,
or at your desk behind closed doors and say to youself
或者在你紧闭的门后的办公桌上自言自语
"That's what I want to do." Configure your brain to do the best in that situation.
“这就是我想做的。”配置你的大脑,在这种情况下做到最好。
Get your dominance hormone up, and get your stress hormone down.
提高你的主导荷尔蒙,降低你的压力荷尔蒙。
Don't leave that situation feeling like, oh, I didn't show them who I am.
不要让那种感觉,哦,我没有告诉他们我是谁。
Leave that situation feeling like, oh, I really managed to say who I am and show who I am.
离开这种情况,感觉就像,哦,我真的设法说出了我是谁,并展示了我是谁。
To sum up, today, we talk about the "nonverbal expressions of power and dominance" and the strong effects of the change of behavior.
综上所述,今天我们讨论的是“权力和支配的非语言表达”以及行为变化的强烈影响。
I suggest you try power posing, which is simple but will significantly change the outcomes of your life.
我建议你尝试力量摆拍,这很简单,但会显著改变你的生活结果。
OK, next time we are going to discuss the social functions of body language.
好的,下一次我们将讨论肢体语言的社会功能。
二维码
扫码听力原文

更多听力原文

Loading...